Friday 10 May 2013

My "Christian" journey



Despite having been baptised as a baby and semi-regularly attending Sunday school as a child, my first real encounter with Christianity came as a young adult at the hands of fire-and-brimstone preachers who, almost literally, scared the hell out of me. I was so frightened of the vengeful God they introduced me to that I surrendered without much thought and, as required to save my immortal soul, "asked Jesus into my heart". I was married at the time, another decision made without much rational thought, and together we religiously attended church on Sundays, Bible studies on Wednesday nights and I even joined the women's group to be taught how to be a proper, subservient Christian wife.

At around the same time, I had plucked up the courage to inquire about playing women's cricket, having spent many hours with my father when I was in high school learning the basics of batting and bowling. I can still remember my shock and intrigue when one of the ladies I encountered told me that she was part of the "camp" scene and somehow expected that to make me reject her. I did have to go home and look up "camp" in the dictionary to be sure that I understood her - turns out she had "come out" to me and was trying to tell me she was gay, a lesbian. One thing led to another and I found myself, as a married Christian woman, having what could best be described as a lesbian affair. It was a time of great conflict for me as I felt like I had discovered why I had always felt different from all the other girls, but also felt terribly "convicted" that what I was doing was wrong. I remember searching in Christian bookshops to try and find out what the Bible said about homosexuality - unfortunately, at that time the only Christian "voice" that was available said it was a sin. So, with a heavy, but somewhat self-righteous, heart I ended the affair telling myself it was because I cared so much for her that I didn't want to stand between her and her eternal salvation (pious so-and-so I was then).

The affair was over, but my marriage was irretrievably broken. The only way I could cope was to shut myself off emotionally which I did successfully till one day when my sister-in-law refused to leave me alone till she broke through my walls. Then, I shamed my husband by leaving and ultimately divorcing him, with the support of a Christian counsellor. I was still attending church and continued to do so through several more relationships with guys and two interstate moves. I talked to a few people about being gay and I had crushes on women, but I never acted on them.

My last interstate move was to Queensland, in part to be closer to my parents, but also to be in a warmer climate and to try and break free of working in large government organisations - that part didn't work out so well as I found myself working for Brisbane City Council, quite possibly the largest council in the world. But I found myself a nice house to rent complete with a pool, a good church to attend and was enjoying being able to visit my parents a bit more often. I even started attending a Bible College one night a week, learning New Testament Greek which had always fascinated me.

Then, around the end-of-financial-year rollover, which is always a hectic time for IT people supporting a financial system, I got a cold, then another one, then I found walking from the station to work was getting hard and I wasn't coping well with the pressures of being on-call. The final straw came when I was the only member of my team at work one Friday and I just became totally overwhelmed with what was required of me and found myself falling apart at work. Many doctor's visits ensued leading to a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia and I have not worked since.

For someone who had always thrown themselves into work, sport and study, being stuck at home alone for hour after hour, day after day was difficult and I ultimately sought out some (again Christian) counselling which inevitably led to discussing my sexuality. I can still remember the day when I tentatively typed the words "gay" and "Christian" into Google and my amazement to discover there were actually people who were both, who had reconciled their gay identity with being an active member of a Christian church. After much reading and thought, I concluded that they were right, that the so-called "clobber" passages in the Bible could not really be read as outright condemnation of homosexuality. I also realised that the condemnation I had felt during my lesbian affair was because I was committing adultery, not merely because it was an affair with a woman - blatantly obvious in hindsight, of course. With that weight lifted off my mind, I started tentatively exploring the online and real-life gay world. I had a couple of relationships with women, went to church with them, broke up with them and eventually met the woman I thought would be my life partner, taking her to church for our first "date".

I was still a committed Christian, although less fundamentalist than I had been. Books I'd read at Bible College taught me that reading the Bible literally wasn't doing it justice, that context and culture was important, that the earth was not 10,000 years old but that the scientific, evolutionary worldview could be reconciled with a less literal reading of biblical creation myths. I had a lot of respect for the pastor at my church who continually questioned what difference my beliefs made to my everyday life, what I actually meant when I spouted "Christianese" and modelled an openness to questioning and a willingness to admit that we don't have all the answers and that that is OK. Everyone in the church belonged to one of four "clusters" which took turns in being responsible for Sunday services. I played an active role in my cluster, even planning the entire service after the tsunami as I felt so strongly about the impact that should have on Australian Christians.

I moved up to the Sunshine Coast, but still drove down to Brisbane most Sundays to attend church, and when my partner and I decided to hold a commitment ceremony, we asked the church if we could use their premises. After much soul-searching from the hierarchy at church, that request was denied, and we held the ceremony at our home. The pastor and his wife attended but he couldn't officiate because although the church was an autonomous entity, it belonged to a denomination and it could have cost him his job. I had a hard time dealing with the reality that my partner and I were welcome at the church, could participate as actively as we wanted, yet because of some rules, our relationship couldn't be acknowledged openly by the church. We always had the pastor's support and the support of those members of the congregation who knew the true nature of our relationship, but the church as an organisation couldn't be seen to support us.

After that, the long drive down to Brisbane to attend church on Sundays seemed less and less worthwhile and when the pastor resigned his position to become a full-time high school teacher, I no longer felt like a member of that church. Together, and separately, we investigated other options closer to home and even online. We attended a couple of services at a "gay" church in Brisbane, went to a couple of Quakers meetings further up the coast and my partner tried out several churches in the local area as she felt a greater "need" to be part of a church or some sort of spiritual community. Over time, my frustration with the church as an organisation grew - so many rules and so much certainty over issues which I now saw as controversial or even irrelevant. I liked the Quakers idea of "questioning all your answers" but even they had rules and regulations and no real place for gay and lesbian couples.

So I gradually drifted away from being comfortable calling myself a Christian and became more and more comfortable with the idea that I didn't know all the answers, I couldn't know all the answers and that that was OK. I still believe there is a spiritual aspect to life and that there are things that happen that cannot be explained by science, at least currently. I believe the man Jesus of Nazareth lived and walked on this earth and that the Christian New Testament is an account of how his life was understood by his contemporaries. I also believe Buddha and Muhammad lived and that the multitude of religions that exist are all part of mankind's attempt to explain the things we experience and that there are worthwhile things to be learnt from all of them. I respect those people who find what they need within the confines of a particular religion and I sometimes envy them the community that provides them with. I still have within me a desire to serve, and yes, even worship, something greater than myself, but I no longer know what that something is called and I'm not sure I need to know. I will continue the journey called life and no doubt continue to wrestle with the problems of life and search for answers that work for me, but if I am forced to label myself, I am most comfortable with "agnostic" - I do not know!

No comments: